August 22, 2012

Summers Winding Down

  
I  see the Summer gradually winding down and it makes we wish the seasons did not pass so quickly.  But my favourite time of year will soon be with us.

Autumn will be here before we know it.  This is the season of  bounty, here in Ontario where Autumn falls between September and November.  Crops are harvested during Autumn. All the leaves are at their best as they change colours.  The flowers that bloom in Ontario are many and bountiful.  My favourite  is the Chrysanthemum which comes in lovely fall colours that match the changing colours of the trees.  They seem to last past any other bloom at this time of the year.  There are fall asters as well that dot our landscape with purple blooms.  The Sumacs are changing from green to crimson and the maples are changing their colours to a variety of hues.

This is also the time of year to do the little jobs that prepare our homes for the winter.  We can make sure the caulking around the windows and doors and the insulation on your electrical switch plates are up to snuff.  These little investments will produce savings and a cozy home during the winter months.

It is the season of pumpkins, turnips,Brussels sprouts, beets, bok choy, nappa cabbage, Chinese spinach, Chinese broccoli, broccoli, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, celeriac, celery root, celery, chard, cucumbers, eggplant, garlic, green beans, greens, kale, leeks, lettuce, mushrooms, onions, parsley, parsnips, pears, potatoes, shelling beans, spinach, summer Squash, winter Squash, and zucchini.   Enjoy the celebration of Harvest Home on the 30th of September fellow Canadians!






The Wee Few Thoughts of Dylan the Dog

I sure like Spring, Summer, and Autumn; but the idea of the snow and ice of the winter dragging the coat on my tummy depresses me.   It would nice if we only had a couple of days of winter here; like I used to experience in my home state of Oklahoma.  Mom would get me all groomed and clipped most of the year; so I wouldn't be too hot.  I never had any trouble with the groomer and she always succeeded in doing a beautiful job.  She would give a 'teddy bear' cut all over except around my face where I would have a modified 'lion's mane' around my face.  Everyone thought I looked cute and it didn't cost a lot either.   Here in Canada they want you pay and arm and a leg.  Right now I look like a bear that has been hibernating all winter.  I just hope I can get clipped and looking handsome soon!

Shake a paw twice,
Dylan the Dog.



Note:  The photos of the cats are both found on common sights.  Dylan and his Mom were photographed by Ruth Shultz.
 

No comments: